Design 5 _ Hysteria

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Me explaining my work to Linzey, Davis, and some idiot guest crits and my fellow group mates

Now this is the big thing. Design 5 has come to an end this time, imagine how fast the time flies. Now I would say this semester has been a real struggle for me, and yet no one seemed to understand why. All they see is the work that I've done but do they really see the strugle that I have come to face with. D5_Hysteria has taught me alot of things, has gained me a lil bit of fame, has made me realize many things, has made me understand the awful truth about architecture school, has made me think about the being honest to myself.

I remember at the beginning I was having a serious dilemma on "drawing" and "digital". Mike Davis could not understand why I refused to use the digital medium. He encouraged me to, which I thanked him for. I believe I could use the digital media pretty well and its really a personal peference. Then I remember David saying that using Digital media is cheating.

Then I am having trouble with the functionalism, planning of the design. I have always been taught to design inside-out. Start from a plan, which is true this time but the thing is they are not resolved in many ways. Which I have tried very hard to jump out from my comfort zone and do things in random.

But to quote Davis, "Just keep making things if you dont know what you are doing, it will come together eventually."

I do agree with him. That is why, my productivity this semester is way higher than last semester. The reason is because I dont know what I was doing and I had to keep doing things. But in the end, the pieces start to come together and form a big picture.

I cannot be totally sure if I have totally understand the Diagram theory because what they taught is pretty much the same as what we were taught, its just that diagram is a bit more straight forward and random, i guess, i dont know. But this is a good test. Davis has encouraged me to go the radical way of design, which I have never done before. I have always been interested in radical designs but to able to do it is a hard task. I cant say my design this time is totally and purely radical toughts but there are certain things and concepts that I would consider radical. Perhaps I could go extereme next time, perhaps not. I dont know but really Im glad that I have explored the radical side rather than having doing the same thing every semester.

One thing that Im amazingly pleased with my design this time is that I actually made a model myself. And everyone thought it was a cool model, well except for Andre, but its something that I dont usually do and Im happy that I nailed it this time. Muahahah


Tough,

To be honest there is a big self disappoinment to this semester's work (I mean my own work). I guess I rushed myself towards final way too early. I cant deny that Grade is a seductive factor but I guess the reason why I rushed has to do with self arrogance, I think. The more the tutors dispice drawings, the more grand I want it to look. Yeah, arrogance. the Digital media is good in a way that it is convinient, productive, and easy to use. But drawing in the other hand is something that is totally different. It is a craft, it may not be as productive, but drawings are just amazingly beautiful. and It looked so much so much better than computer renderings regardless how good the rendering is, its just not to be compared to a crafted drawing. That is why this time, rather that having a humble presentation, Ive decided to go big. Just because of arrogance. But I guess most of the people were impressed with the big huge presentation that the failed to see the weakness in my presentation. I guess James saw it, but its just that he never said to me. David saw it and we had a discussion, Sajeev did notice the imperfection too. I mean.. not many people who sees it but those who sees see. (If you know what i mean). I wouldnt point out the inprefection in the presentation but that imperfection has made me think a lot, i mean A LOT and I think it will strongly affect what style I'll go next semester. But still, I will have to wait and see what I get this time before I know the answer. The grade this time is important for me to find out someting, about this whole thing. I wouldnt mind if I dont get an A+ this time, because Ive had enough compliment that I know what Ive achieved, but what grade I get this time will help me to find out the truth.

I need the truth.

I guess I shall put a period for now, but I will keep on posting my thoughts on this semester. There are too many things to talk about.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
My model that I'm proud of ^^

10 comments:

1:49 AM Anonymous said...

So give me the truth,
give me the truth,
I dont care no more, no,
Give me the truth

6:03 AM Anonymous said...

Fuckin awesome thing bro. Mustve stress dahellouttaya!

6:21 AM Broken Beaker said...

what happened to your msn you idiot

6:25 AM Anonymous said...

I got error message. BTW I beat now. chat tomorrow

2:12 PM Rei said...

hey dude, such a wicked job u hav done!! 'How did u put those concrete together ah'lol

2:14 PM Rei said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
2:16 PM Rei said...

I've also learnt lot from D5 as well, just give me some time to think and write them down....

10:12 PM Anonymous said...

desire..

2:20 AM K e n n e t h said...

You stole my draft and make it as your own model...
Lolz...

11:46 PM Broken Beaker said...

ur a nerd