
Artist: Razorlight
Album: Razorlight
Release Date: 17 July 2006
Length: 34:57
Label: Mercury, Vertigo
Producer(s): Razorlight
After two years since their amazing debut Up All Night, apparently Razorlight have been sleeping all night because their sophomore album was nothing but disappointing. I don't understand what is it with all the hype with brits these days, first there is Arctic Monkeys then come Razorlight dubbed as the best brit punk post the Libertines, and geez, I almost buy into it because to be honest, I was actually quite hyped when I listened to single In The Morning before the album was released.
See, the fuss with Razorlight is that with the release of their new album, it is supposed to mark another milestone for the British Invasion 2, since Razorlight was one of the first few bands that jumped in the wave, after the Libertines, and followed closely by Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, Hard-Fi and the recent Arctic Monkes. If their album is succesfully avoided the sophomore syndrom, it would raise the bar very high for Bloc Party which is speculated to release their second album within this year. But obviously Razorlight failed miserably and so all the spotlights now is on Bloc Party.
But then when I finally got the full album, I was in anger, please, they want to be Oasis, they want to be The Verve, they want to be U2, but the final product sounds like no-one, not even Razorlight themselves. The album loses many of Razorlight's trademark or essential sounds; rough, energetic and catchy. This album is mellower and a tamer version Up All Night, and it made me wonder what they are trying to achieve with this album, sometimes it sounded like they were tired of being in the spotlight, tired of touring but then they're only in the business for 2 years, they're to young to complain about shits like this.
No, this album is not going to save Britpop this year.
Listen to: In The Morning, America, Back To The Start, Los Angeles Witz
Beaker's Verdict: B

0 comments:
Post a Comment