
Released: February 4th, 2006 (Australia)
Recorded: 301 Studios in Byron Bay, Australia, 2005
Genre: Punk rock, Rock, Rockabilly
Length: 51m51 s
Label: EMI (2006)
Producer(s): Nick Launay
Members
Chris Cheney- Guitar, Vocals
Scott Owen -Double Bass/Vocals
Andy Strachan -Drums
Ok so here's the deal, we've listen to wannabe rockers from the States like Yellow Card, All-American Rejects and yadda and we've listen to the Brits rocking the same shit since yester-year and now we've got a band from Melbourne trying to brand themselves as the next Greenday. True not. But for now, let us forget about the Americans and the Brits and focus on this Australian product because I personally think that State of Emergency is a very strong release from an Aussie band, mainly because I haven't heard many GOOD Aussie bands, or maybe from what I've heard so far, they bore me to the grave. The Living End are 3 very passionate lads from Melbourne Australia who made this very exciting State of Emergency and the passion is infectious that a listener will listen to the album with full of passion and excitement too.
Now this album is not a very typical generic punk rock album. I'd say its a mixture of both Punk and Indie, which most bands like to do these days. The opening track, 'Till the End is a perfect example to what I said. The song starts off like a live perfomance click-click-click the drumstick, but imediatly flows into spacious guitar breaks and then solo, which is quite breath taking really. The chorus is infectiously energetic 'til the end, 'til the end, although lyrics like "im never gonna give up, not gonna stop till i try, not till i satisfy, till i get what i want, till i get what i need" is kinda cliche sometimes but nevertheless it's a good start for the album.
My favourite song off the album, also the personally I think the best song off the album would have to be Wake Up. The lyrics is not genius but close, "Suicidal Education, it got sold to our generation. Wake up to the Manipulation, Wake up to the Situation"-Attacking the social issues as well as politically ambiguous. Cool not? The sound is catchy from start to finish. The song finishes off with kids chanting at the back, which is pretty cool, a little too serious for me though.
Black Cat is not a great song, neither is a bad song, but why the fuck would I even bother writing about this song? Well it's because approximately 2minutes 35 seconds into the song, I found the rhythm quite similar to one of Franz Ferdinand's song which I can't remember the title because their song just sound just the same to me.
There was one thing I hate about the band, though it has nothing to do with their music. I don't know if it's their idea to imitate Greenday or it was bad marketing. I mean come on, dyed-red hair with spray paint in the hand and red graffiti on the background, this is just so no original.
Nuff said, State of Emergency is pretty amusing to listen to, especially when you need some energy boost or when you're feeling angry, there are some really good songs to sing to. The album is unpretentious and at the same time impressive. This is a brilliant album from the Aussies and a pretty damn good album so far of 2006 too. hmmm...INXS who?
Beaker's Verdict: A-
Friday, March 31, 2006
[Music] The Living End - State of Emergency [2006]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
omg, til te end is absolutely amazing man. Wake up is pretty cool too, but them they sound like greenday like you said
Post a Comment